Places and Sessions
- Starfish Preschool offers places for children aged 2 years to 4 years.
- Monday to Friday 9:00-3:00
- Term time only
|Session Open Times
Children can attend for just the morning, just the afternoon, all day or a combination of these sessions.
3 and 4 year old children are eligible for 15 hours of funded preschool education. Please speak to a member of the Starfish Preschool team for further information and for a copy of the booking form.
It is the Pre-school’s aim to provide a flexible routine for the children. The routines and activities that make up our day are provided in ways that:
- Help each child to feel that they are a valued member of the setting
- Ensure that children are kept safe
- Help the children to form friendships with other children and adults by being part of a group
- Provide children with many different experiences and opportunities to learn, not just educationally but also to learn important life skills
The sessions are organised so that children have free choice, and can play with a wide variety of toys and activities. Although our sessions are very flexible we do have a routine as this helps children to feel settled. A pictorial visual time-table is displayed next to the registration board.
A rough guide is as follows:
- Beginning of session – We welcome the children into setting. Please help your child to hang up their things, find their Starfish name-card and put it onto the registration board then make their choice of indoor play. Once children are settled parents say goodbye and leave, the entry gate will then be locked. (Any late arrivals can ring the doorbell to be let in. Visitors are requested to go to the School Reception to sign in and gain entry)
- Free play – Once the entrance gate is secured the outside area will be opened and children are free to choose where they want to play. Some activities will always be available, others will be added in response to children’s changing interests and to prompt new investigations. A special helper of the day will help the Manager to count the names on the board and check her register.
- Snack -- During our play time/activity we offer the children a healthy snack. This is a sociable time where the children and adults can sit and have a conversation.
- Group activity - An adult led focused activity such as gardening, cooking or activities on the field.
- Tidy up time – towards the end of the sessions we encourage the children to help to tidy up.
- Carpet Time – at the end of a session we all sit for a story, or a song, or just to chat about what we have done during the day.
- End of session – The children are given help if needed to put on their coats ready to go home.
- Afternoon sessions follow a very similar pattern to the mornings but begin with staff and children sitting around a table in our classroom to eat their packed lunches together.